Cookie Consent by Free Privacy Policy Generator

What happens if you don't pay?

If you are struggling to pay

To make it easier to pay, your annual council tax bill is automatically split into 10 monthly instalments. If you are struggling to pay these instalments there are a number of things you may be able to do:

  • if you want to spread your payments over 12 months, you need to let us know by completing a request to pay in 12 monthly instalments
  • if the bill you receive is for a previous year and is payable in one instalment, you can ask us to spread the payments over a longer period
  • if you can't afford to pay, but this is a temporary problem caused by an unexpected event, for example, an accident or illness, please contact us to discuss reducing your instalments for a short period by rescheduling them
  • if you are on a low income, but don't already claim Council Tax Support, you should make an application as soon as possible
  • check to see if there are any other discounts or exemptions you can claim in order to reduce your bill
  • if you are experiencing debt problems you should seek help and advice from one of the free debt advice organisations available to you
  • if the council tax bill is for an unoccupied property that is up for sale, then contact us as we can, in certain circumstances, defer payment of the council tax until it is sold
Update cookies preferences