Cookie Consent by Free Privacy Policy Generator

Gambling licences

About gambling licences

The Licensing Authority is responsible for licensing premises that offer facilities for gambling. These gambling facilities can be broken down into 6 premises licence types:

  • Casino premises (converted, large and small)
  • Bingo Premises
  • Betting track premises
  • Other betting premises (Betting Shops)
  • Adult Gaming Centres
  • Family Entertainment Centres

Any person or business wishing to operate a gambling business in Wyre must first apply for an operating licence and any relevant personal licences from the Gambling Commission. To apply for a premises licence you must:

  • be over 18 years old 
  • if applying on behalf of a company or partnership, be authorised to make such an application
  • hold or have applied for an Operating Licence from the Gambling Commission for the relevant gambling activity.

The Gambling Commission was set up under the Gambling Act 2005 to regulate commercial gambling. The Commission is responsible for issuing operating licences and personal licences and for enforcing the regulations surrounding the use of such licences. They provide advice and guidance to the trade, local authorities and the Government about commercial gambling.

The council and the Gambling Commission make decisions in accordance with the three licensing objectives, which are:

  • preventing gambling being a source of crime or disorder
  • ensuring that gambling is conducted in a fair and open way
  • protecting children and the vulnerable from being harmed or exploited by gambling
Update cookies preferences