The Civic Centre reception in Poulton is open 10am - 3pm Monday to Friday. You can also call us on 01253 891000 or email:

You will be required to wear a face covering when visiting the Civic Centre reception and Lockwood Surgery, unless you are exempt.

Click here for information about Coronavirus and our services

Your Wyre Online

In Your Area

Gambling licences

Statement of licensing policy

The Gambling Act 2005 requires that each local authority issues permission for certain types of gambling to take place under the act.

Premises licenses

Betting shops, race tracks, bingo clubs, casinos, adult gaming centres and family entertainment centres (arcades) all require licences. Enforcement by Wyre officers and Gambling Commission officers takes place periodically in order to ensure that the licensing objectives are being upheld.


Pubs, clubs and smaller arcades are required to hold a permit for the slot machines on their premises. There are limitations on the stake and jackpot amounts of machines, based on the type of premises they are located in.


If a charitable organisation wishes to raise money for local charitable causes through the sale of raffle tickets, the council must issue them with a small society lottery licence. The lottery licence also provides the organiser with a licence number which must be printed on the raffle tickets. Tombola type events are exempt, as tickets (usually cloakroom style) are picked out randomly at the event and not sold in advance. A summary of the proceeds must be sent to the licensing section following the event (lottery return).

A summary of the Gambling Act 2005 

The Gambling Act 2005 controls the way commercial gambling is licensed in England, Wales and Scotland. Wyre Council is the licensing authority for this area and officer work closely with the Gambling Commission who, as the national gambling regulator, issue various codes of practice about how gambling should be conducted and operating and personal licences. They also investigate illegal gambling and have powers to prosecute organisers of such activity. 

Any person or business wishing to operate a gambling business in the Wyre area must first apply for an operating licence and any relevant personal licences from the Gambling Commission. 
Then, they can apply to Wyre Council for a premises licence for each individual premises that they wish to licence in this area. 

The council and the Gambling Commission will make decisions in accordance with the three licensing objectives, which are: 

  • Preventing gambling being a source of crime or disorder 
  • Ensuring that gambling is conducted in a fair and open way 
  • Protecting children and the vulnerable from being harmed or exploited by gambling


The fee structure is set by the government and we work within this:

Further information

Contact us

If you would like further information or assistance, please contact us:

Rate this page

Give us your feedback on this page!