Important updates on Coronavirus (COVID-19):

Wyre’s Civic Centre reception in Poulton is now open from 10am - 3pm Monday to Friday. You can also contact us on 01253 891000 or email:

Click here for information about Coronavirus and our services

Your Wyre Online

In Your Area

Personal licences (Licensing Act 2003)

Apply online

About personal licences

Any premises such as a pub, off-licence, restaurant, hotel or supermarket need to be licensed and must have a designated person, who holds a personal licence, to supervise the sale of alcohol.

To apply for a personal licence you should contact the council in whose area you live (not work) and this council will then be responsible for the administration of your licence, even if you move away from the area.

Register of Wyre personal licences

New applicants

The following must sent to the licensing department at Wyre Council when you first apply for a personal licence:

  1. A completed application form
  2. The appropriate fee of £37.00
  3. Two passport sized photographs, one of which should be endorsed on the back by a solicitor, notary, teacher, lecturer or other professional person as a true likeness
  4. Evidence of passing an approved personal licence training course. Details of courses can be found in our guidance notes below
  5. A recent (less that one month old) Basic Criminal Records Bureau disclosure and 
  6. Documents that provide proof of your right to work in the UK

Regular inspections take place at licensed premises and personal licences must be current at all times. The law was amended in 2015 to remove the expiry date on personal licences, so even if your licence has expired there is no need to renew it. You must report any change in your address and/or name to the issuing authority even if your new address is out of the area. An updated personal licence will then be re-issued with current address and name details.

Relevant offences

If you are charged with a relevant offence, you must inform the court immediately that you are a personal licence holder. If you are subsequently convicted you will also have to inform the licensing authority and return your licence so that the offence can be endorsed on it.

Right to work in the UK/Immigration status

A personal licence may not be issued to an individual who is resident in the UK who: 

  • does not have the right to live and work in the UK; or 
  • is subject to a condition preventing him or her from doing work relating to the carrying on of a licensable activity. 

Any personal licence issued in respect of an application made on or after 6 April 2017 will become invalid if the holder ceases to be entitled to work in the UK.

Applicants must demonstrate that they have the right to work in the UK and are not subject to a condition preventing them from doing work relating to the carrying on of a licensing activity.

Theft or loss of a personal licence

You must notify Wyre licensing department if your personal licence is lost or stolen on the appropriate form. There is a fee of £10.50 for a replacement.


For further information on obtaining a personal licence from Wyre council please refer to the personal licence guidance:

Contact us

If you would like further information or assistance, please contact us:

Rate this page

Give us your feedback on this page!