The Civic Centre reception in Poulton is open 10am - 3pm Monday to Friday. You can also call us on 01253 891000 or email:

You will be required to wear a face covering when visiting the Civic Centre reception and Lockwood Surgery, unless you are exempt.

Click here for information about Coronavirus and our services

Your Wyre Online

In Your Area

Temporary Event Notice (TEN)

A Temporary Event Notice (TEN) is a notification proposing the use of a premises (which is not authorised by a premises licence) for licensable activities including:

  • selling alcohol (at any time)
  • serving alcohol to members of a private club (at any time)
  • providing entertainment such as music, dancing or indoor sporting events (at any time)
  • serving hot food or drink (between 11pm and 5am)

Apply online

Complete the application form to apply for a TEN:

A fee of £21.00 will be payable for each TEN application.

Please contact us if you have any questions about the application process. 

If you wish to hold an ad-hoc event in England or Wales, you must give a TEN to:

  • the local licensing authority
  • the police
  • Wyre Council's environmental protection department

You will also need a TEN if a particular licensable activity is not included in the terms of your existing licence. For example:

  • if you wish to hold a wedding reception at a community centre that does not have a premises licence authorising the sale of alcohol or regulated entertainment
  • or if a registered club licensed under a Club Premises Certificate (CPC) wishes to hold an event (charity or not) which is not restricted to members or guests (open to the general public)
  • or if a premises wishes to extend the hours for licensable activities for an event or special evening

This should be no later than 10 working days before the event for a standard TEN, and no later than five working days for a late TEN. If the premises where the event is to be held is in areas governed by two or more local authorities applications must be made to each.

Standard TENs

Should the licensing authority receive an objection notice from the police or our environmental health service that is not withdrawn, it must hold a hearing to consider the objection (unless all parties agree that is unnecessary). The licensing committee may decide to allow the licensable activities to go ahead as stated in the notice. If the notice is in connection with licensable activities at licensed premises, the licensing authority may also impose one or more of the existing licence conditions on the TEN if it considers that this is appropriate for the promotion of the licensing objectives. If the authority decides to impose conditions, it must give notice to the premises user which includes a statement of conditions and provide a copy to each relevant party. Alternatively, it can decide that the event would undermine the licensing objectives and should not take place. In this case the licensing authority must give a counter notice.

Although ten clear working days is the minimum possible notice that may be given, we would advise applicants to submit their TEN at the earliest opportunity to ensure all necessary controls can be put in place.

Late TENs

A late TEN can be submitted to us five to nine working days before the event. 

As with a standard TEN, the police and our environmental protection service have a period of three working days from when they are given the notice to object to it on the basis of any of the four licensing objectives. If there is an objection from either service, the event will not go ahead. In these circumstances there is no scope for a hearing or the application of existing conditions.

A late TEN given less than five days before the event to which it relates will be returned as void and the activities to which it relates will not be authorised.

The number of late TENs that can be given in a calendar year is limited to ten for personal licence holders and two for non-personal licence holders. Late TENs count towards the total number of TENs (for example, the limit of five TENs per year for non-personal licence holders and fifty TENs for personal licence holders). Once these limits have been reached, the licensing authority should issue a counter notice (permitted limits) if any more are given.

Restrictions (per calendar year)

  • Maximum number of persons permitted under a TEN - 499
  • Minimum age of applicant - 18
  • Maximum length a TEN covers - 168 hours (seven days)
  • Maximum number of applications in one year for a holder of a personal licence - 50
  • Maximum number of applications (non-personal licence holder) - five
  • Maximum number of TEN per premises - 15
  • Total number of days covered by TENs - 21 days

Application evaluation process

If the police or environmental health department receive a notice and believe that the event would undermine the licensing objectives they can serve an objection notice on the licensing authority and the premises user. This notice must be served within three working days of the notice being given to the licensing authority.

The licensing authority must hold a hearing if an objection to a standard TEN is served. A decision must be made at least 24 hours before the beginning of the event. If an objection to a late TEN is received a hearing will not be held and the event must not go ahead.

Additional information

Trade associations

Contact us

For further information or if you have any questions about the application process please contact us:

Rate this page

Give us your feedback on this page!