The Civic Centre reception in Poulton is open 10am - 3pm Monday to Friday. You can also call us on 01253 891000 or email:

You will be required to wear a face covering when visiting the Civic Centre reception and Lockwood Surgery, unless you are exempt.

Click here for information about Coronavirus and our services

Your Wyre Online

In Your Area

Small Waste Electronic and Electrical Equipment (WEEE)

A ‘small’ Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEEE) kerbside collection service is now in operation for a trial period.

Why is it important to recycle WEEE?

WEEE is the UK’s fastest growing waste stream. As technology evolves at rapid pace older electrical and electronic items are often made redundant or left unwanted.

Many electrical items such as mobile phones and handheld computers contain valuable plastics and metals. With natural resources in limited supply and soaring landfill costs, it is important that we recycle these materials so they can be used in new products.  Some waste electrical materials also contain materials which are hazardous such as cadmium, lead and mercury – therefore even more important to collect and recycle them.

What is small WEEE?

As a general rule, we categorise small WEEE as small handheld items that require a plug or batteries to use that can fit inside of the green box, such as:

  • Small kitchen appliances (kettles, toasters and irons)
  • Hair dryers, hair straighteners and clippers
  • Clocks, watches, calculators and torches
  • Remote controls, laptops, mobile phones, cameras and chargers
  • Radios, mini hi-fis, CD and MP3 players
  • Small electronic toys, for example remote control cars
  • Power tools, smoke detectors and thermostats

Please leave cables and plugs attached to items.

How will small WEEE be collected?

Please place all small WEEE items in a plastic carrier bag with your green box by 7.30am on your scheduled collection day.

Collection cages have been attached to the underside of our glass, tins & textiles recycling collection vehicles.

To recycle your batteries please see our batteries recycling page.

Lightbulbs can be disposed of at a Household Waste Recycling Centre

Where can I recycle large WEEE items?

Large Waste Electronic and Electrical Equipment (WEEE) are items such as:

  • TV's and monitors (any size)
  • Hoovers and vacuum cleaners
  • Cookers, ovens and microwaves
  • Fridges or freezers
  • Washing machines and tumble dryers
  • Large DVD players and large musical equipment
All of these cannot be recycled on the kerbside.

The council offers a collection for large items. There is a charge for this service. To arrange a collection please contact us on 01253 891000.

Alternatively, you can take your large WEEE to one of Lancashire County Council’s Waste Recycling Centres.

What happens to WEEE once collected?

Items are shredded to reduce volume and are mechanically separated into their component parts (plastics, ferrous metals and non-ferrous metals). The materials collected will then be used to produce a mixed grade plastic, which can be used to make street furniture. Any metals recovered are taken for reuse to make new products.

What if my small waste electricals are not collected?

You should report this as a missed collection, providing it is an item we can accept.

Further information

More information about the scheme

Rate this page

Give us your feedback on this page!