The Civic Centre reception in Poulton is closed to visitors. You can still call us on 01253 891000 or e-mail:

Lockwood Surgery remains open for patients, and the civic centre will be hosting appointment only vaccination clinics. Please wear a face covering in all parts of the building.

Click here for information about Coronavirus and our services

Your Wyre Online

In Your Area

Disabled band reduction

Council tax liability may be reduced if a permanently disabled person (whether and adult or child) lives in the dwelling.

To apply 

Please complete the form:

Disabled band reduction application form


An eligible person is someone who is liable with regards to a dwelling which is the sole, or main residence of at least one qualifying individual, and in which there is:

  • A room which is not a bathroom, a kitchen or lavatory and which is predominantly used (whether for providing therapy or otherwise) by and is required for meeting the needs of any resident qualifying individual 
  • A bathroom or kitchen which is not the only bathroom or kitchen within the dwelling, and which is required for meeting the needs of any resident qualifying individual resident 
  • Sufficient floor space to permit the use of a wheelchair required for meeting the needs of any resident qualifying individual. Please note: a wheelchair is not considered as being required for meeting an individual’s needs, if that person does not need to use it indoors.

For the purposes of these regulations, a “qualifying individual” is someone who is substantially and permanently disabled.


If this criteria is met and the disabled band reduction is awarded, the calculation is made by calculating the amount due in the next lowest valuation band. For example: for a band D property awarded a disabled band reduction, liability would be calculated at band C.

If the property is a band A, a reduction will still apply. This will be calculated at 5/9’s of the amount of the band D rate.


Rate this page

Give us your feedback on this page!