Full-time students, student nurses and foreign language assistants
To claim a discount please upload one of the documents listed below on the evidence request form
- A council tax student exemption certificate from your educational establishment; or
- A certificate showing you are registered with the Education and Training Group and evidence of your appointment
You are classed as a full-time student, and therefore entitled to a council tax discount/exempt from paying council tax if:
- You are aged 18 or over and you are at college, university or similar
- Your course lasts at least 24 weeks in the year, and
- It involves at least 21 hours of study time per week
- Your college or university is in the UK or the European Union
You are also classed as a full-time student if you are engaged in distance learning as long as you meet the 21 hours and 24 week student criteria.
People under 20 in full-time education
You may be disregarded for council tax purposes if you are on a qualifying course up to and including A levels and study for 12 hours or more per week, and the course lasts for at least three months.
Student nurses studying academic courses at universities or colleges are classed as students for council tax purposes.
This only applies to student nurses who are studying to be included on the register for the first time. Nurses who are already on the register taking further courses are not classed as student nurses.
Foreign language assistants
Foreign language assistants registered with the Education and Training Group of the British Council and appointed as an assistant at a school or other educational establishment in Great Britain are disregarded for council tax purposes.
For further information and advice please contact us
Rate this page
Give us your feedback on this page!