Health and safety inspections
We will visit workplaces to carry out inspections for the following reasons:
- Receipt of an accident notification
- Workplace complaints
- Local knowledge of health and safety issues
- National priorities for addressing poor standards of health and safety
We check businesses are meeting their legal requirements by looking at documentation (risk assessments, work instructions, training records) and visual inspection.
We will take action where businesses fail to comply with legislation in accordance with our enforcement policy. This may result in verbal advice or prosecution. The action taken will be proportionate, targeted, consistent and transparent.
- Health and Safety Executive guide for businesses and employees: 'What to expect when a health and safety inspector calls'
- The independent regulatory challenge panel - if you think that the advice given by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) or local authority inspectors about health and safety was incorrect, you can challenge this