Cookie Consent by

Temporary road closures - how to apply

Wyre Council can only close the highways for certain events such as gala processions, car shows and festivals under section 21 of the Town Police Clauses Act 1847. Some larger events may not be suitable for closure under this act, and will require a road closure approved by Lancashire County Council as the highways authority for the borough. Please get in touch with the arts and events team if you are unsure which application to make. There is currently no charge for the making or monitoring of a closure order, however this may change in the future.

Part 1 - application

It is for the event organiser to carefully consider where the safest location for your event is and only apply to use the public highway if there is no alternative. You must:

  • make a valid application at least three calendar months before your event date, or it may not be dealt with in time
  • prepare a risk assessment  to accompany your application form. Guidance can be found on the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) website
  • prepare a clear road map, with street names clearly visible, showing your closure route and the surrounding area. The following should be clearly marked on your map: Diversion routes, where marshals will be stationed, where barriers and cones will be placed and exact locations where signs will be placed. You will need to state what these signs will say
  • prepare a traffic management plan, including the number of marshals, closure points and details of your traffic management company if you are using one
  • appoint a suitably qualified person to place signs, barriers and cones on the highway. The council does not provide this service
  • obtain all other necessary licences or permits from the council prior to your event
  • obtain a use of land licence if applicable

Road closure application form

Part 2 - approval from the Highways Authority, Streetworks team and Traffic Management

You should send the completed application form, risk assessment and traffic management plan to the following for their approvals:

  1. Lancashire County Council Street Works Team ( and copy to:
  2. Lancashire County Council Highways team: 
  3. Mark Proctor, Traffic Management Facilitator and copy to:

Written evidence will be required from all three advising they have no objection to the closure request. It is your responsibility to obtain this. 

Part 3 - apply to Wyre Council

If there is no objection to your road closure request from all of the authorities mentioned in part 2, you can then forward your application form and all supporting documentation to for the council to prepare the closure order. If the is an objection the council will not proceed with your application.

Application checklist

Every application must include,the following documents, submitted at the same time, at least three calendar months prior to your event. If anything is missing it will be returned to you for completion and may result in it being too late to make an order:

  • the application form - fully completed and signed
  • a road map as described in part 1
  • your traffic management plan, as described in part 1
  • a copy of your public liability insurance (minimum £5 million) that is valid on the date of the event
  • a list of contact details of those involved in the application for a road closure and a contact number that can be made available to the public for enquiries made regarding the event
  • a full risk assessment for the event
  • copies of correspondence from the Highways Authority, Streetworks team and Traffic Management stating they have no objection to your application

Once your application is processed we will get in touch with you to confirm the closure order can be made. We will also send you a notice which is to be publicly displayed on the roads affected at least seven days prior to the closure. It is a legal requirement to do this.