Cookie Consent by

Street naming and numbering

What you can apply for

Named houses

If your property has a name and you wish to change it, you need to apply using the register new addresses or request a change to an address form 

The council will then check the details of your request to ensure there will be no confusion with other properties in the area.

Named houses with postal numbers

If your property has a postal number and you want to name it as well, you do not need approval. However the name may only be used informally and will not be registered by the council.

Replacing a postal number with a name can cause confusion for postal deliveries and emergency services. You can display the name on your property and use it alongside the postal number in the address, but your property will always be identified by the number.

Renaming/numbering of streets

Occasions when it may be necessary to rename or renumber a street:

  • there is confusion over a street’s name and/or numbering
  • a group of residents are unhappy with their street name
  • new properties are built in the street and there is a need for the other properties to be renumbered to accomodate the new properties
  • properties without numbers are causing confusion for visitors, postal deliveries or emergency services

Local residents and Royal Mail will be asked their views on the proposed change. A two-thirds majority is required to make the change.

According to Land Registry Public Guide 2, it is the responsibility of the property owner to inform Land Registry of a house/property name change approval.