Your application will not be granted until the council is satisfied that you are a ‘fit and proper’ person to hold a driver’s licence.
You will need to:
- Complete the council's application and personal disclosure form (making sure you disclose all convictions, cautions and traffic offences etc. that you
have ever received, whether unspent or not)
- Upload your DVLA licence onto the council's database and sign an electronic mandate to permit periodic checks on your licence. You must attend
the Civic Centre in person to do this.
- Apply for an enhanced DBS disclosure certificate.
- Once you receive your certificate, you must register with the DBS Update Service and you only have 28 days to do this
- Make an appointment with your own doctor for a medical examination to the DVLA group two standard
- Provide evidence that you have the right to work in the UK
- Provide an up to date passport style photograph
- Pay the remaining application fee. Please see the fees and charges page for more information.
If you pass all of the council's standard checks, licensing officers will grant a dual driver’s licence which entitles you drive both hackney carriages and private hire vehicles.
Applicants who do not meet the minimum standards in the council's convictions policy, will be referred to the licensing committee who will determine the application.