Information for consumers
We are committed to protecting the health and well-being of consumers in Wyre.
When buying food from a shop or restaurant you may have complaints about the condition of the food or the levels of hygiene in a restaurant.
There are several laws in place designed to protect consumers when buying food from a shop or restaurant.
Food safety complaints
Find out how to make a food safety complaint if you have consumed food or drink at a premises in our district and experienced poor food hygiene practices, or if you have purchased a food item and consider it to be unsafe.
Food hygiene rating scheme
View the rating of the place where you choose to eat or shop by:
- Visiting the Food Standards Agency website
- checking the sticker in the window or
- checking the certificate on display inside the premises.
After a premises has been inspected an overall number rating, from zero (the worst) to five (the best) is awarded, based on food standards found at the time of inspection in the following three areas:-
- Compliance with food hygiene and safety procedures.
- Compliance with structural requirements.
- Confidence in management control/procedures.
The rating does not reflect the quality of food or the standard of service provided to customers.
The food hygiene rating scheme enables you to make an informed choice about where you choose to eat out or shop for food, as it gives you an idea of what's going on in the kitchen, or behind closed doors.
- Citizens advice - guidance on laws in place designed to protect you when you have a food complaint
Contact us if you have any questions or require further information:
- phone: 01253 891000
- email: FoodStandardsAgency@wyre.gov.uk
Rate this page
Give us your feedback on this page!