The Civic Centre reception in Poulton is open 10am - 3pm Monday to Friday. You can also call us on 01253 891000 or email:

You will be required to wear a face covering when visiting the Civic Centre reception and Lockwood Surgery, unless you are exempt.

Click here for information about Coronavirus and our services

Your Wyre Online

In Your Area

Council tax support

If you have been financially impacted by the Coronavirus pandemic you may be entitled to help with your council tax payments. Please visit the Coronavirus council tax support page for more information. 

If you have to pay council tax and are on a low income, you may be able to obtain help towards what you pay. The amount of help depends on your income and savings, your personal circumstances and the circumstances of any other people who live with you who are aged 18 or over.

How to make a claim

  • Make a claim online
  • Telephone us on 01253 891000 to make a claim over the phone or book an appointment with a benefits adviser 
  • If you're elderly, disabled, or housebound, then we can arrange for a visiting officer to call to help you make a claim

You should make a claim for council tax support as soon as you think you need help. Benefit cannot normally be backdated.

Council tax support will be calculated as a means tested discount, defined by the terms of the scheme policy with a reduction of 8.5% being applied at the end of the calculation. The same percentage reduction will be applied without exception across all working-age claimants. If you have reached state pension credit age your award may not be reduced depending on what date you reach this age.  

Second adult rebate

If you are a single person of pension age sharing your home with one or more other people (not your partner) and nobody pays you rent, you may be able to claim council tax support based on their income and circumstances. In this instance your own income, and savings will not be taken into account.

Change of circumstances

It is the responsibility of the claimant to advise the council of any relevant changes in circumstance that will affect their entitlement. Changes must be notified within one calendar month of the change. You can report a change of circumstances online or alternatively contact us. You will also have to provide evidence of some changes. Examples of the changes you must tell us about include:

  • If you move home or move rooms within the house where you live
  • If any state benefits you or your partner receive either change or stop
  • If you or your partner start to get a new state benefit
  • If the income received by you or your partner changes
  • If the savings held by you or your partner alter
  • If you or your partner start work, stop work or change jobs
  • If you or your partner go into hospital
  • If anyone joins or leaves the household
  • If anyone in your household has a change in their income
  • If your rent changes
  • If you have any other changewhich may affect your benefit

You must tell us about changes promptly. If you do not do this, you may lose out on benefit, or we may pay you too much benefit and you will have to pay it back to us.

If you get pension credits, you must inform the Pension Service of any changes to your income and savings, and inform the council of any changes in your household details.


The maximum period a claim can be backdated is six months.

Notification of the award 

Advice of any award granted, removed or revised will be issued via a council tax bill, or a replacement bill where appropriate. 

Any changes to the award of council tax support will be recovered via an adjustment to the council tax bill.


Claimants may appeal a decision made by the local authority under the new scheme. The appeal must be in writing detailing why you do not agree with the decision. The council will consider the appeal and notify in writing of the outcome. If you are not satisfied with the decision you can appeal to the Valuation Tribunal for England.

Scheme updates

The scheme may be amended to take into account any circumstances subsequently identified, whether through government statute, public consultation or any other means.

Council tax hardship scheme

For those in need of assistance with paying their council tax, a hardship scheme is available. Find out more information about the scheme.

Contact us

For further information and advice please contact us:

Rate this page

Give us your feedback on this page!