Register your interest
Wyre Council has been awarded £370,000 to support community led housing.
The fund is available for community organisations, registered providers (also known as housing associations) and community focussed private developers. Whether you are an existing community group or simply an individual or groups of friends who have an interest in community housing, please register your interest on the form below and we will contact you with further details.
About community-led housing
Community-led housing is about local people playing a leading and lasting role in solving local housing problems by designing, developing and/or managing genuine affordable homes.
The funding can help support:
- capacity building for existing and potential community groups in the borough
- support for pre-construction design and site preparation works and
- acquisition of sites and construction costs
There are many reaons communities may become involved in housing for their community including:
- to increase household choice of housing types
- to provide affordable housing, for rent or sale secured for the local community
- to renovate derelict, vacant or under-used property
- to create eco-sensitive ‘low-impact’ homes
- to be a means to expand skills and employment
- to manage housing and neighbourhood services
Routes to delivery
There are three main routes to delivery for community-led housing:
- Group-led: community-led groups responding to housing need or demand, or people seeking to deliver their own homes
- Extension of community based activity: existing community based organisations with local roots decide to provide housing in addition to their current activities
- Developer-community partnership: A local authority, landowner, registered provider or small builder who wants to provide housing to include a community-led element
The community-led housing sector comprises a wide range of ownership, occupancy and management models including (but not limited to) community land trusts (CLT), co-operatives and cohousing. Further details are provided below along with some case studies:
- UK Cohousing
- National Community Land Trust Network
- CCH (the Confederation of Co-operative Housing)
- NaCSBA (National Custom and Self Build Association)
For further information or to speak to someone about communityled housing please contact us
Rate this page
Give us your feedback on this page!