Cookie Consent by Free Privacy Policy Generator

What is council tax and who has to pay

The council tax bill

If you are liable to pay council tax, we will send you a bill when you first become liable, then an annual bill in March each year. If someone else is jointly liable to pay with you, they will also be named on the bill.

You can choose to receive your council tax bill electronically. To do this you need to register for a myWyre account. Once you have registered for council tax online you will be able to see your bills, check your payments and outstanding balance, and apply for any discounts or exemptions you may be entitled to claim.     

To make it more affordable, your council tax bill is automatically split into monthly instalments. If you are struggling to pay these instalments there are a number of things you may be able to do:

  • if you want to spread your annual council tax payments over 12 months, instead of 10, you need to let us know by completing a request to pay in 12 monthly instalments
  • if the bill you receive is for a previous year and is payable in one instalment, you can ask us to spread the payments over a longer period
  • if you can't afford to pay, but this is a temporary problem caused by an unexpected event, for example, an accident or illness, please contact us to discuss reducing your instalments for a short period by re-scheduling them
  • if you are on a low income, but don't already claim council tax support you should make an application as soon as possible
  • check to see if there are any other discounts or exemptions you can claim in order to reduce your bill
  • if you are experiencing debt problems you should seek help and advice from one of the free debt advice organisations available to you
  • if the council tax bill is for an unoccupied property that is up for sale, then contact us as we can, in certain circumstances, defer payment until the property is sold
  • if you think that the council tax band for your property is too high, you may be able to appeal to the Valuation Office Agency to reduce the band
Update cookies preferences