Household duty of care
Everyone has a legal 'duty of care' to ensure their waste is disposed of correctly. You can be prosecuted for failing to do so, even if your waste is fly tipped by someone else.
- suspect all waste carriers. Don't let them take your rubbish until they provide proof of registration. Note their vehicle's registration plate
- check that a waste carrier is registered on the Environment Agency's website or call them on 08708 506 506
- refuse any unexpected offers to have your rubbish taken away
- ask how your rubbish will be disposed of - seek evidence of this
- paperwork must be obtained: an invoice, waste transfer note or receipt, including a description of the waste being removed and the waste carrier’s contact details
You could be fined up to £5,000 if your waste is illegally dumped.