Cookie Consent by

Apply for a council tax discount when a property has been left empty by a person receiving care

A property is exempt from paying council if it is empty because the only person whose name appears on the council tax bill has moved elsewhere permanently (other than a hospital, care home or hostel). This is called a Class I Exemption.

The person whom is being cared for must require care for one of the following reasons:

  • old age
  • disablement
  • illness
  • past or present alcohol or drug dependence
  • past or present mental disorder

You must have left the property to receive care elsewhere, and you cannot have moved anywhere else in between leaving the property and moving to receive that care.

If you are completing this form on behalf of someone else, then you must have their permission or authority to apply on their behalf and provide their details on the subsequent pages.

What happens after you submit this form?

Once we receive your application (with the supporting evidence), we will assess it against the criteria. If you are successful we will issue an updated council tax bill. If we are not able to apply the exemption, we will write to you explaining the reasons for refusal.