Cookie Consent by

Second hand goods dealer licences

Applying for a second hand goods licence

Any person or business that deals in second hand goods within Wyre must register the business with the licensing department. This includes jewellery shops and stalls, vintage shops and ‘pre-loved’ shops where the goods for sale have been purchased from another person prior to sale. However there are some exemptions for certain activities which are:

  • Charitable organisations
  • Scrap metal dealers
  • Motor vehicle traders
  • Holders of a licence under section 22 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 (such as those involved in credit or hire businesses)
  • Persons engaged in any business whose primary purpose is the supply of new unused goods, to which the supply of second hand goods is merely incidental
  • Persons engaged in dealing with waste paper, cardboard or plastics only. If other items are traded on the premises a registration must be obtained from this council. Failure to do so may result in prosecution.

The record-keeping required under the legislation assists with the identification of persons passing on stolen goods, and protect dealers from allegations relating to the receipt of stolen goods.

You must display the registration certificate on the premises where it can be seen by the public, and you must inform the council within 14 days if any of the information on the application should change.

Records must be kept at the premises,  and completed when an item is purchased from another person. 

Apply for a second hand goods dealer licence