Cookie Consent by Free Privacy Policy Generator

Mobile homes, camping and caravanning


Site licences include a number of conditions so that standards are met and maintained. These include things like the minimum distance between units and the safety and adequacy of services such as drainage, electrical and water supplies.

Although conditions applied to licences are standardised, they vary dependent on the type of licence granted to a site.

Residential sites are subject to more stringent conditions than holiday or touring sites, as they are occupied on a permanent basis.

Although some sites may have a variety of units on them including mobile homes, caravans, lodges and pods, the classification remains the same. If the unit can be transported from place to place, it is classed as  a caravan.

The licence conditions for each one differ but the main differences are:

  • A touring site – This is used to site caravans on a short term temporary basis, Individual caravans may not be sited for more than 21 days in any period of 28 days. There must be disposal, washing and toilet facilities on site.
  • A holiday site – Units on a holiday site must not be used as a person’s main home, even if the site is permitted to open all year. All holiday home owners should provide a home address to the site owner, who should maintain a register of this information.
  • A residential site – These sites are often referred to as a park home sites. A park home will be the occupier’s primary residence and will be the place that they are registered for council tax and voting.  Park homes will be plumbed in to the main sewerage and electrical systems and the minimum permitted distance between units is larger to allow for greater privacy. Residential sites are classed as relevant protected sites under the Mobile Homes Act 2013.
Update cookies preferences