Cookie Consent by

Animal licences

Hiring out horses

You need a licence if you hire out horses in the course of a business (for payment in money or in other means such as gifts, in lieu of labour etc) for either or both of the following purposes:

  • Riding
  • Instruction in riding

Horse includes an ass, mule or hinny. The Local Authority is required to appoint a Vet to inspect the premises where the activity is being carried out every 12 months.

Failure to adhere to the Statutory Guidance will result in the Council refusing to grant a Licence or renew a current Licence;

GOV.UK - Hiring out Horses Licensing

You should also be familiar with the CIEH - Health and Safety requirements for Horse Riding establishments and Livery yards (Chartered Institute of Environmental Health).

We are in the process of developing guidance documents to assist you with your application. At this time they are not available but if you require further information please contact us via email at

Application for a licence to hire out horses