The Civic Centre reception in Poulton is closed to visitors. You can still call us on 01253 891000 or e-mail:

Lockwood Surgery remains open for patients, and the civic centre will be hosting appointment only vaccination clinics. Please wear a face covering in all parts of the building.

Click here for information about Coronavirus and our services

Your Wyre Online

In Your Area

Noise pollution

Noise from neighbours is a common source of nuisance, and for some people it can be very upsetting. Some of the most common examples of this type of noise include a barking dog(s), loud music or loud TV and DIY activities.

Submit a noise complaint

In the first instance we recommend you approach your neighbour either personally or by other means, for example, by letter and explain politely that you are being troubled by the noise. Although you may find this difficult, it is surprising how often neighbours are unaware of the disturbance they are causing.

If this approach fails and there is no improvement in the situation then make a complaint:

Make a noise complaint

It would be very useful and advisable to record a diary with the dates and times of the noise problem, what the noise was and most importantly, how it affected you at the time. This may be useful if the evidence were ever to be used in court at a later date.

Privacy notice

Click on the privacy notice below for details on how the environmental health and community safety service manage your data

Environmental health and community safety privacy notice

Submit noise recordings using the noise app

You can submit noise recordings using the noise app. This is a smart phone app which can be downloaded free of charge from the Apple Store or Google Play Store and used to record snap shots of any problematic noise which you are experiencing, and to submit it to Wyre council as evidence.

Watch this video to find out how to use the app

To find out more about the app and how to download it visit The Noise App website

What is a noise nuisance?

If you are being disturbed by noise from your neighbours, one of three things could be happening:

  • The neighbours may be behaving unreasonably, for instance by playing music too loud
  • The neighbours may be unaware of the problem, for example a dog that barks only when left alone or children that turn the radio up when parents are out
  • You may have become over-sensitive to the noise, particularly if you don't get on with your neighbours. People sometimes "tune in" to the noise from next door to find it annoying even when most other people wouldn't.

A statutory nuisance noise nuisance is a noise that unreasonably affects the use of your property by causing sleep disturbance, disrupting the enjoyment of your television and other similar interference, rather than just causing mere annoyance.

Part III of the Environmental Protection Act 1990 requires Wyre Council to take reasonable steps to investigate allegations and, if appropriate, to take formal action in the event of justified complaints of statutory nuisance. We require the person responsible to take corrective action.

Statutory nuisances arising from the following sources are investigated by this authority:

  • Property conditions
  • Smoke
  • Dust/fumes/gases
  • Odours
  • Deposits on land
  • The keeping of animals
  • Noise from a premises
  • Noise from a vehicle, machinery or equipment in a street

If satisfied that a complaint of statutory nuisance is justified, Wyre Council must serve an abatement notice upon the person responsible, occupier or owner of the premises (as appropriate) requiring that the nuisance be abated.


Failure to comply with an abatement notice is an offence and legal proceedings may result. If the person were found guilty of an offence then they are liable to a fine of £5,000 plus other costs for a daily continuation of causing the nuisance. Where the offence is committed on industrial, trade or business premises, the maximum fine is £20,000

Further information

Contact us

For further information or for any enquiries relating to noise pollution please contact us

Rate this page

Give us your feedback on this page!