Red bin - mixed recycling
Red bins replaced green boxes in April 2020.
Please place items loose in the bin. We cannot recycle bags and it affects the sorting process at the recycling plant.
What can go in my red bin?
It is easy to see if you can recycle an item by checking the number stamped on it. Pots, tubs and trays with a number 1, 2 or 5 within the recycling triangle should go into your red bin.
- mixed clean glass bottles and jars including lids
- clean food and drink cans (including pet food and biscuit tins)
- aerosols (including deodorants and hair spray). Please ensure that aerosols are empty and are not pierced. This is especially important for aerosols that contain lighter fluid, which can explode when they are crushed
- clean aluminium foil and foil trays
- plastic bottles only
- ready meal containers
- pots (for example: yoghurt, soup, plant pots)
- tubs (for example: margarine, ice cream)
- trays and punnets (for example: take-away trays, fruit and veg trays)
What cannot go in my red bin?
- carrier bags
- unwashed items
- broken glass
- window, pyrex or drinking glass
- other plastic
We can also recycle the following items if you leave them next to your bin on your scheduled collection date.