Cookie Consent by Free Privacy Policy Generator

Making a Housing Benefit claim

Who can claim Housing Benefit

Housing Benefit (HB) is money you may be able to claim to help pay the rent for your home.  

You can make a new claim for HB if you:

  • have reached state pension age (you can check this on the website), and
  • have a low income from your pensions, benefits or work, including self-employment, and
  • have less than £16,000 in savings

You may still get HB if your savings are more than £16,000, but you or your partner get the Guarantee Credit part of Pension Credit.

If you havent yet reached state pension age you can only make a new claim for HB if you live in temporary or supported accommodation for which you are liable to pay rent.

If you don't meet the qualifying criteria for claiming HB, you may still be able to claim help with payment of your rent by making an application for Universal Credit to the DWP.

Update cookies preferences