Cookie Consent by Free Privacy Policy Generator

Change in circumstances

The amount of Housing Benefit (HB) and Council Tax Support (CTS) you receive is based on your circumstances at the time you make your application.

You must tell us if any of those circumstances change. You need to do this within one month of them changing. 

If you don't tell us at the correct time and it results in you receiving more benefit than you are entitled to, you will have to pay the overpaid amount back, and you may also receive a financial penalty, or be subject to legal proceedings through the courts.     

If you have a change in circumstance that means you are entitled to more benefit, but don't tell us about the change within one month of it occurring, we will only pay you any additional benefit you are entitled to from the Monday following the date we become aware of the change.

Changes you must tell us about include:

  • if anyone moves into or out of your home
  • your income, capital, savings or investments change
  • your partner's income, capital, savings or investments change
  • the income of anyone else living with you changes
  • your rent changes
  • you move house
  • the amount you pay for child care changes.
  • any non-dependents who you live with become, or cease to be, full-time students.

To report a change in your circumstances you need to complete a change in circumstances form. Alternatively, you can report the change by booking an appointment to speak to an advisor.

Report a change in circumstances

Some changes in circumstances now result in our having to close your HB claim and advise you to make a claim for Universal Credit instead. 

Update cookies preferences