Cookie Consent by Free Privacy Policy Generator

Energy efficiency

Energy performance certificates

Privately rented properties have to meet standards for energy efficiency. Properties which have (or legally need to have) an EPC, must have a minimum energy performance rating of E.

As a landlord, you cannot rent a house out to a tenant, or re-let an existing house if you don't achieve the minimum energy rating. If you do not comply with this new rule, you can be fined up to £4,000.

If you don't have a valid EPC, you could also be fined £200. You may also be stopped from serving a Section 21 notice to gain possession of your property at the end of a tenancy. Fines for non-domestic properties can be even higher.

The requirement for an EPC also applies to self-contained units such as bedsits.

The regulations also mean that tenants who live in homes with a rating of F or G will be able to ask for improvements to be made, such as more insulation.

As the landlord, you will be legally bound to bring the home up to an E rating, unless it is exempt.

For further information about these regulations please see the governments guidance

Update cookies preferences