Cookie Consent by

Energy efficiency

Energy performance certificates

Privately rented properties have to meet standards for energy efficiency. Properties which have (or legally need to have) an EPC, must have a minimum energy performance rating of E.

As a landlord, you cannot rent a house out to a tenant, or re-let an existing house if you don't achieve the minimum energy rating. If you do not comply with this new rule, you can be fined up to £4,000.

If you don't have a valid EPC, you could also be fined £200. You may also be stopped from serving a Section 21 notice to gain possession of your property at the end of a tenancy. Fines for non-domestic properties can be even higher.

The requirement for an EPC also applies to self-contained units such as bedsits.

The regulations also mean that tenants who live in homes with a rating of F or G will be able to ask for improvements to be made, such as more insulation.

As the landlord, you will be legally bound to bring the home up to an E rating, unless it is exempt.

For further information about these regulations please see the governments guidance