Cookie Consent by Free Privacy Policy Generator

Building work

Building work needing formal approval

In general, most building work needs formal approval. The type of work covered includes:

  • erection of a new building or re-erection of an existing building
  • extension of a building
  • material alteration of a building
  • material change of use of a building
  • installation, alteration or extension of a controlled service or fitting to a building

Typical example of work needing approval includes:

  • home extensions such as kitchens, bedroom, lounge
  • loft conversion
  • internal structural alterations, such as the removal of a load-bearing wall or partition, installation of baths, showers, toilets which involve new drainage or waste plumbing and installation of new heating appliances other than electric
  • new chimneys or flues
  • underpinning of foundations
  • alterations that affect the building's means of escape or fire precautions
  • altered openings for the new windows in roof or walls
  • replacing roof coverings unless exactly "like for like" repair
  • installation of cavity insulation
  • erection of new buildings that are not exempt
  • access improvements for disabled people

Further information can be found on the Local Authority Building Control website

This list is not exhaustive and we strongly suggest that you contact us to discuss your project before undertaking the work.

Update cookies preferences