Important updates on Coronavirus (COVID-19):

Wyre’s Civic Centre reception in Poulton is now open from 10am - 3pm Monday to Friday. You can also contact us on 01253 891000 or email:

Click here for information about Coronavirus and our services

Your Wyre Online

In Your Area

What are your housing options

Home & Care

Housing Advice

General housing advice will be provided including, how to secure accommodation, your rights, any help that is available and how to access that help. We will also provide specific advice to meet the needs of the following groups:

  • Persons released from prison or youth detention centres
  • Care leavers
  • Former members of the regular armed forces
  • Victims of domestic abuse
  • Persons leaving hospital
  • Persons suffering from a mental illness or impairment
  • Any other group that the authority identifies as being at particular risk of homelessness

Finding privately rented accommodation

To secure private sector accommodation look through local newspapers as these carry details of properties that are available for letting. Free copies of local newspapers are available for you to read at local libraries and properties are advertised on the internet.

Homes for rent are sometimes advertised in shop windows or on notice boards, and you could put an ‘accommodation wanted’ card up on one of these yourself. You could also consider using social media to look for house/flat share opportunities.

Useful accommodation websites include:

These websites allow you to enter the area, type of property and amount of rent you can afford – then search for a home using these criteria. If you do not have access to the internet at home, you can go to your local library and use the internet facilities available there. You could also ask your friends, family, and colleagues if they have a spare room or accommodation available. You can claim housing benefit to cover rent and a room can be let without it effecting tax or benefits for the household depending on the income received from the rent. If you can find accommodation with friends or relatives we can advise them on rent and any impact this may have on tax or benefits.

Help with housing costs

If you are not currently in employment or are on a low income, you may be entitled to financial assistance from the council to help you to pay your rent in the form of housing benefit. If you are in receipt of Universal Credit, help towards your housing costs will be included in your regular payments.

If you are currently a Wyre resident and currently in receipt of housing benefit you may be able to apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP) in order to help you move.

You may be able to start a savings plan and access a safe and affordable loan from a credit union. This will enable you to apply for rent in advance money or a bond. The application process is very simple and a decision can be made quickly.

Alternatively if you have been receiving income support or job seekers allowance for 26 weeks or more you may be able to lend money from the social fund for rent in advance

Bond guarantee scheme

The bond guarantee scheme exists to help new tenants find a property to rent by replacing a cash deposit with a written agreement known as a bond. The scheme is operated by Creative Support and Housing Options team at Wyre Council. A prospective tenant must meet set criteria in order to qualify for the scheme. Creative Support will meet the landlord to explain how it works and to confirm they are happy to accept a bond guarantee. If you require further information or advice please contact the Housing Options team on 01253 891000.

Social housing

You can apply for social housing via My Home Choice if you meet certain eligibility criteria. Once registered you can bid for any advertised vacancy for which you are eligible that would meet your household's housing need. The wider areas and property types you are prepared to consider the higher your chances of successfully bidding and being offered a property.

You can also apply for affordable housing on Moving Soon.

It is important that you do not rely on My Home Choice to accommodate you.

Remaining in your property

Landlords can evict an assured shorthold tenant after giving two months notice (usually referred to as a section 21 notice) and getting a court order. Most privately rented tenants are assured shorthold tenants. Do not leave your accommodation unless you have found alternative accommodation or are required by law to leave. Remember, only a bailiff can evict you and they need an order from the court. If a landlord wants to begin action evict you, they musty follow certain procedures.

If you are lodging with friends/family,resident landlord or in tied accommodation then your rights of occupation may be limited.

Accessing support

If you are aged 18 or over and sometimes feel unable to cope with issues such as finance, health and fitness, mobility and transport, relationships and family, employment or housing or if you are anxious, stressed, feel isolated or simply overwhelmed the Lancashire well-being Service is here to help you. For further information or to seek confidential support please contact 03450 138208 (local call rate).

You may also access support, advice and guidance from the Citizens Advice.

Rate this page

Give us your feedback on this page!