The Civic Centre reception in Poulton is closed to visitors. You can still call us on 01253 891000 or e-mail:

Lockwood Surgery remains open for patients, and the civic centre will be hosting appointment only vaccination clinics. Please wear a face covering in all parts of the building.

Click here for information about Coronavirus and our services

Your Wyre Online

In Your Area

Valuations and Appeals

Each time a new non-domestic property is constructed or an existing property is altered, the Valuation Officer has to alter the Local Rating List.

In the case of a new property, the Valuation Officer creates a new entry in the Rating List showing the rateable value (RV) which has been given to the property and notifies both the owner / occupier of the property and the Council of that RV and of the effective date of the new entry (this is normally the date on which building work was completed). The Council then issues a bill to the ratepayer.

In the case of an amendment to a rateable value (e.g. an extension has been built on to a factory; an office has been divided into two; a shop has been demolished), the Valuation Officer amends the rating List and notifies the owner / occupier and the Council.

A ratepayer can make a proposal regarding an entry in the Local Rating list at any time within the life of the List.

Who can make a proposal?

  • The ratepayer
  • Other people with an interest in the property, e.g. a landlord (In these cases, the ratepayer will be notified and has the right to take part in the settlement of the proposal).
  • The Council

The procedure for dealing with a Proposal

If the Valuation Officer agrees with the Proposal, or all parties reach agreement on another value, the value will be changed.

If the Valuation Officer does not agree or the matter is still unresolved after 6 months, the dispute is passed to the local Valuation Tribunal for a decision. Discussions to try to reach agreement can continue before the Tribunal hearing.

Valuation Tribunals are independent bodies whose members are unpaid people who are of "good standing" within the community, rather like local magistrates. Most unsettled rating appeals are resolved via a hearing where the person making the appeal, or his / her representative, is able to put his / her case to the Tribunal. However, if all parties consent, appeals may be resolved by written representations to the Valuation Tribunal.

There is no charge for making an appeal, though if the ratepayer asks a firm of rating surveyors or agents to appeal on his / her behalf, he / she will have to pay for that assistance. If the person making the appeal is dissatisfied with the decision of the Tribunal, he / she may appeal to the Lands Tribunal within 4 weeks of the Valuation Tribunal's decision.

Whilst awaiting the outcome of an appeal, rates must still be paid

If there is an obvious irregularity in valuation and the Council feels certain that a value will be reduced, it may be possible to make an arrangement for payment to be made at a reduced rate until the matter is resolved.

For information and advice please contact the Council.

The full list of rateable values together with information on the grounds for making an appeal, and details of how to make an appeal can be found on the the Business Link website

Rate this page

Give us your feedback on this page!