Battery collection scheme
Wyre Council in cooperation with Veolia operate a kerbside battery collection scheme. Simply put them in a clear bag and place next to or on top of your red lidded or blue bin. Please do not put your batteries in the grey bin as they can cause fires.
Which types of batteries will be collected?
We can recycle D, C, AA, AAA, 9V, button, rechargeable, mobile, iPod and hearing aid batteries. We can also recycle laptop and power tool batteries but can't accept car or other industrial batteries. If car or industrial batteries are left this will be classed as fly tipping.
Why recycle batteries?
- There is a value in the material, as up to 60% of a battery can be successfully recycled.
- Batteries contain hazardous materials which are best kept out of landfill sites for fear of polluting surrounding areas and watercourses.
- EU directive regulations were introduced in 2009, which specify targets for recycling batteries, including 25% of batteries to be recycled by 2012, and 45% by 2016.
- Wyre Council isn’t obliged to collect batteries for recycling, as it is the responsibility of the producer. However, it is felt that it’s a service which will benefit the residents of Wyre, and is a low-cost service to implement.
Other ways to recycle batteries
Apart from the kerbside battery collection, you have two options:
- The Household Waste Recycling Centres provided by Lancashire County Council will accept them.
- Retailers who sell more than 32kg of batteries each year are legally obliged to accept batteries for recycling in their outlets. There should be a collection container in store – ask a member of staff if you can’t find it. Please note that 32kg is approximately 345 packs of four AA batteries.
Storing your batteries safely
- Keep your batteries somewhere cool, dry and out of direct sunlight.
- Never store damaged or leaking batteries.
- To reduce the risk of short circuiting, cover the contacts on lithium and button cell batteries with sticky tape and remove any trailing wires.
Rate this page
Give us your feedback on this page!