The Civic Centre reception in Poulton is open 10am - 3pm Monday to Friday. You can also call us on 01253 891000 or email:

You will be required to wear a face covering when visiting the Civic Centre reception and Lockwood Surgery, unless you are exempt.

Click here for information about Coronavirus and our services

Your Wyre Online

In Your Area

Universal Credit

Universal Credit is now available in the whole of the Wyre area.

Customers in the Wyre area who want to make a new claim for help with their rent will need to apply for Universal Credit and not Housing Benefit unless:

  • You live in temporary or supported/exempt accommodation. If you need to claim Universal Credit for day to day money, you can still claim for help with rent through housing benefit instead of the housing element of Universal Credit.
  • You have been placed in temporary accommodation by the homeless team through the homeless legislation then housing benefit is paid rather than housing element through Universal Credit.
  • You have reached the qualifying age for state pension credit (you can check this here)
  • You receive a Severe Disability Premium (SDP) or have received a Severe Disability Premium within the last month and continue to fulfil the criteria. This means you must be in receipt (or have been in receipt in the last month) of Income Support, income related ESA, income related JSA, Guarantee Pension Credit and be in receipt of one of the following qualifying benefits; PIP daily living, DLA care component at middle or highest rate or Attendance Allowance. This is not available if someone receives Carer’s Allowance or the carer element of Universal Credit for you or if you have a non-dependent living with you.

You can claim Universal Credit online at  You should also make a separate claim for Council Tax Support here.

If you are excluded from claiming Universal Credit for any of the above reasons, you will need to claim Housing Benefit here.

Existing customers will currently stay on Housing Benefit unless they have a change in their circumstances which triggers a move to Universal Credit. More information can be found at


Find out how to submit a claim for housing benefit and council tax support

Change of circumstances

If you currently claim housing benefit but have a change in circumstance this may trigger a move to Universal Credit. Find out if this applies to you

About Universal Credit

Whether you can claim Universal Credit depends on where you live and your circumstances.

Universal Credit makes the welfare system simpler by replacing six benefits and credits into a single monthly payment if you are on a low income or out of work. It can include support for the costs of housing, children and childcare, as well as support for disabled people and carers.

It ensures that you will be better off in work and makes it easier for you to start a new job or work more hours. As your take home pay increases, Universal Credit will gradually reduce, meaning that your benefits don't end immediately if you are on a low income.

Universal Credit merges a number of existing benefits into one single payment:

  • Income support
  • Income related jobseeker’s allowance
  • Income related employment support allowance
  • Housing benefit
  • Working tax credit
  • Child tax credit

Discretionary housing payments

If you are in receipt of housing costs from Universal Credit and need additional financial help to pay your rent or move home, you may wish to apply for a discretionary housing payment 

Rate this page

Give us your feedback on this page!