The Civic Centre reception in Poulton is closed to visitors. You can still call us on 01253 891000 or e-mail:

Lockwood Surgery remains open for patients, and the civic centre will be hosting appointment only vaccination clinics. Please wear a face covering in all parts of the building.

Click here for information about Coronavirus and our services

Your Wyre Online

In Your Area

Housing benefit and council tax support

Housing costs, housing benefit and council tax support

Universal Credit is now available in the whole of the Wyre area.

Customers in the Wyre area who want to make a new claim for help with their rent will need to apply for Universal Credit and not housing benefit unless:

  • You live in temporary or supported/exempt accommodation. If you need to claim Universal Credit for day to day money, you can still claim for help with rent through housing benefit instead of the housing element of Universal Credit.
  • You have been placed in temporary accommodation by the homeless team through the homeless legislation then housing benefit is paid rather than housing element through Universal Credit.
  • You have reached the qualifying age for state pension credit (you can check this here)

Applying online

Existing customers will currently stay on housing benefit unless they have a change in their circumstances which triggers a move to Universal Credit. Find out more about Universal Credit triggers

Housing benefit and council tax support

Housing benefit can help pay some or all of your rent if you are on a low income.

The council tax support scheme helps you pay some or all of your council tax bill depending on your age and circumstance.

Second adult rebate is available for residents who have reached the qualifying state pension age. They must share their home with another adult (not a partner or civil partner) who is unable to contribute towards the council tax because they are on a low income. The council tax payer's income is not taken into account when working out how much rebate is due. Only the income of the other adults is used to do this. 


The amount of housing benefit and council tax support due to you is worked out by looking at:

  • How much money you have coming in
  • Your personal circumstances and the amount of rent you have to pay
  • The amount of savings you have (more than £16,000 will normally disqualify you)
  • How many bedrooms you and your family require

The scheme applies to:

  • Anyone paying rent
  • Any person responsible for paying the council tax
  • Tenants living in privately rented accommodation (the allowance for these tenants is known as local housing allowance and the rates are set separately), hostels and housing association accommodation

Make a claim

We advise you to find out if you are eligible before making a claim. 

Make a claim online

Please note: if you are accessing the site from a mobile device with a small screen please use the accessible version link once the form loads.

Alternatively you can contact us to make an appointment to see a benefits advisor. If you're elderly, disabled, or housebound, then we can arrange for a visiting officer to call to help you make a claim.


The evidence you need to provide includes:

  • National Insurance numbers for you and your partner
  • Identity (two documents per person)
  • Capital, savings and investments
  • Earnings
  • Other income
  • Benefits, allowances or pensions
  • Private rent and tenancy

You can provide evidence to support your claim by uploading scanned images or photographs of the documents.

Things to remember

  • You must contact us as soon as you can to make sure your housing benefit starts from the earliest date possible
  • You should contact us as soon as you need benefit to tell us that you plan to claim
  • Provide all the supporting evidence. We cannot pay your benefit until we have seen all the evidence we have asked for
  • Use the same form to claim help towards council tax

Processing your claim

We will work out how much benefit you are entitled to. We will write to you to tell you our decision, even if you will not receive any help because of your circumstances. If you disagree with our decision or any information contained in the letter you must write to us straight away to tell us what you think is wrong. You have one calendar month to do this.

Change of circumstances

If you currently claim housing benefit but have a change in circumstances this may trigger a moved to Universal Credit. Find out if this applies to you

Contact us

For further information or assistance please contact us

Rate this page

Give us your feedback on this page!