Cookie Consent by Free Privacy Policy Generator

Insurance claims - information for members of the public

If you have suffered personal injury or damage to your property as a result of actions by the council, you may consider making a claim. For the claim to be successful you will need to prove that the council has been negligent and has not done everything that is reasonable to protect you or your property.

There is no automatic entitlement to compensation when something happens, the alleged incident may not have been the fault of the council.

You have 6 years from the date of the incident to claim for property damage, and 3 years for personal injury claims.

If the claim relates to an incident on a footpath or a road, please contact Lancashire County Council which has responsibility for adopted highways within the borough of Wyre.

Making an insurance claim

If you are a member of the public and want to make an insurance claim against the council, please complete this form:

Insurance Claim Questionnaire

Before completing the questionnaire, please ensure you have all the details relating to your incident including photographs and receipts if necessary. The precise location of the incident is essential, so please indicate any landmarks where possible such as shops, houses, churches and street signs. A marked map or sketch would also be helpful. Please do not dispose of any damaged items prior to the council confirming whether they wish to inspect the property concerned. If you do so this may result in a reduced settlement being paid in the event of liability being accepted.

The council is publicly funded, this means that claim payments are made using taxpayer’s money.  We need to be careful that any payments we make are justified and we ask people to bear this in mind if they are thinking about making a claim against us.   

Once we have reviewed the details you have submitted, you will be contacted in due course to advise of the next steps. If you require help and guidance when completing this form, please call 01253 887325 or email

Information for solicitors

If you are a solicitor or claimant representative please submit a claims notification form (CNF) directly to our insurer via the claims portal:

Insurers: Zurich Municipal

Registered Address: 5th Floor, Hadrian House, Higham Place, Newcastle, NE1 8AF

Policy: Public Authority Combined Liability Insurance (UK)

Policy Number:  QLA-07H081-0083

Portal identifier: C00108

Fraud statement

It is an offence to make a fraudulent claim for compensation or to exaggerate one.  The council has a duty to protect public funds, and may use the information provided in relation to your claim for the detection and prevention of fraud.  It may also share information with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds for these purposes. Your information may be shared with other departments within the council and with other organisations for the same purpose. Any person found to be making a fraudulent claim (or assisting in the making of a fraudulent claim) would be liable to prosecution.

Your privacy

For details of information about you that we collect and use in processing insurance claims see our overarching privacy notice Wyre Privacy Notice.

Update cookies preferences