Cookie Consent by Free Privacy Policy Generator

Claiming benefit when you are self-employed

Benefit entitlement for self employed people

You may be entitled to help with your council tax and rent costs if you are self employed and on a low income. Please view the Council Tax Support and Housing Benefit pages to see if you are eligible to claim.

If you are entitled to either and have recently set up your business, we will ask for an estimate of the likely income and expenses for the business over the first few months of trading. 

After the first few months you will need to provide details of your income and we will work out your benefit again. If we haven't paid you enough benefit we will pay you more, if we've paid you too much we will ask for it back.

If you have been trading for over 12 months, please provide a full years trading figures. If you do not have audited accounts we will ask you to complete the Self Employed questionnaire.

It is your responsibility to provide your accounts annually and report any changes in your circumstances.

Update cookies preferences