During a flood
In the event of a flood, Wyre Council will work with the Environment Agency, Lancashire Fire and Rescue Service, Lancashire Constabulary, Lancashire County Council and other appropriate agencies to help those affected.
- Flood water can rise quickly, so always focus on the safety of you and your family before your property and be prepared to act quickly. If there is an immediate risk to life or you are trapped by flood water call 999.
- If you are asked to evacuate your home, follow the advice of the emergency services.
- Avoid walking or driving through floodwater. Driving in flood water significantly increases risk of drowning.
- Turn off gas, electricity and water supplies if flood water is about to enter your home. Do not touch any electrical appliances or cables when standing in flood water.
- Move family, pets and your flood kit upstairs, or to a high place with a means of escape.
- Know what to do in a power cut.
- Avoid contact with flood water and wash your hands regularly. Swallowing flood water or mud can cause diarrhoea, fever or abdominal pain.
- Should there be a need supplies of sandbags are available at:
- Poulton Civic Centre
- Thornton Sports Centre
- Sunnyside Terrace, Preesall
- Sandbags will be made available at the following locations if the council's emergency flood plan is activated:
- St Michael's village hall car park
- War memorial, Churchtown
- High Street car park, Garstang
- Check on vulnerable neighbours and relatives who may be unable to raise the alarm or evacuate their property. Only call 999 if it is an emergency. If there isn't a risk to life but you are worried about someone, please call 101 and log the information with the police.
Emergency contact details
- Tune in to your local radio station for the latest information about flooding and traffic reports.
- Check for Met Office severe weather warnings.
- Follow Wyre Council on Facebook and Twitter for updates.
- Follow the hashtags #LancsAlert and #FloodAware on Twitter.
- Wyre Council - call 01253 891000. Outside normal office hours call the emergency out of hours service on 01253 895116.
- Lancashire Police – call 999 if there is an immediate risk to life (call 101 for non-emergencies). For highways emergencies call 01772 614444.
- Environment Agency Floodline - call 0345 988 1188 to report a flood or if your property is at risk of flooding from a reservoir, river or coastal water.
- Lancashire County Council - call 0300 123 6780 if flooding is from highway drainage, surface water, groundwater or watercourses. They can also give you advice on local rest centres, road closures or vulnerable people.
- Report a blocked drain or a pothole with Lancashire County Council
- Power cuts – call 105 to report a power cut or get updates when your electricity has been cut off. You can find more flooding advice from Electricity Northwest on their website including their priority services register for customers who may need extra support during a power cut.
- United Utilities – call 0345 6723 723 if flooding is from sewers or burst water mains.
For flooding advice and support contact Wyre Council on:
- Telephone: 01253 891000 (out of hours 01253 895116)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Rate this page
Give us your feedback on this page!