Reductions, discounts and exemptions
Single person discount
The single person discount provides you with 25% off your council tax bill. To qualify for the discount you must be the only adult (who counts for council tax purposes) resident in the property. Anyone who is temporarily away from home (such as working away or on holiday) is counted as being resident with you.
To apply for a single person discount please complete the change of circumstances application form:
Please use the above form also if your circumstances have changed and you would like to remove a single person discount from your council tax bill.
Empty property discount
Unfurnished and unoccupied properties receive a discount of 100% for one month.
Where another property is occupied as tied accommodation, a second home receives 50% discount. This covers circumstances where the taxpayer is bound, perhaps by a contract of employment, to occupy premises as part of their duties.
If you qualify for empty property discount please contact us.
You can receive a 25% discount over a maximum 12 month period for dwellings which require, or are undergoing, major/structural repair work to render them habitable. If the property remains in the same condition after 12 months it will become liable for the full charge.
To apply for this discount please contact us.
Further discounts and reductions
With regard to discounts, people in the following groups do not count towards the number of adults resident in a dwelling:
- full-time students, student nurses, apprentices and youth trainees
- patients resident in hospital
- people who are being looked after in care homes
- people who are severely mentally impaired
- people in prison(except those in prison for non-payment of council tax or a fine)
- care providers, or care workers working for low pay (usually for charities)
- people staying in certain hostels or night shelters
- people caring for someone with a disability who is not a spouse, partner, or child under 18 years of age
- 18 and 19 year olds who are at or have just left school
- members of visiting forces and certain international institutions
- members of religious communities e.g. monks and nuns
- members of international organisations with headquarters in the UK, and their non-British spouses
- persons on whom diplomatic privileges and immunities are conferred
If all of the occupants fall into any of these groups then a 50% discount or even a full exemption may apply.
To find out if you qualify for a discount or reduction please contact us.
Some properties are exempt from council tax altogether which means that no amount is payable for as long as the exemption lasts.
Please see below details of exemptions. If your current circumstances exempt you from paying council tax, or you are acting on behalf of someone who's circumstances exempts them from paying council tax then please contact us.
If you would like further information or assistance, please contact the revenues team:
Telephone: 01253 891000
Rate this page
Give us your feedback on this page!