Universal Credit service available at Preston job centre
Preston job centre offers a full service for Universal Credit.
Customers in the Wyre area who live in the PR3 or PR4 postcodes who want to make a new claim for help with their rent will need to apply for Universal Credit and not housing benefit unless:
- You have three or more children. Universal Credit do not accept new claims from people with three or more children. If this applies to you, you can submit an application for housing benefit and tax credits
- If you live in temporary or supported/exempt accommodation. If you need to claim Universal Credit for day to day money, you can still claim for help with rent through housing benefit instead of the housing element of Universal Credit
- If you have been placed in accommodation by the homeless team through the homeless legislation then housing benefit is paid rather than housing element through Universal Credit
You can claim online at www.gov.uk/apply-universal-credit
Exisitng customers who live in PR3 and PR4 will currently stay on Housing Benefit unless they have a change in their circumstances which triggers a move to Universal Credit. More information can be found at www.entitledto.co.uk/help/changes_that_trigger_Universal_Credit
Find out how to submit a claim for housing benefit and tax credits
Change of circumstances
If you currently claim housing benefit but have a change in circumstance this may trigger a move to Universal Credit. Find out if this applies to you
About Universal Credit
Whether you can claim Universal Credit depends on where you live and your circumstances.
- Find out more information and make an online claim
- If you already have a claim you can log into your online account
Universal Credit makes the welfare system simpler by replacing six benefits and credits into a single monthly payment if you are on a low income or out of work. It can include support for the costs of housing, children and childcare, as well as support for disabled people and carers.
It ensures that you will be better off in work and makes it easier for you to start a new job or work more hours. As your take home pay increases, Universal Credit will gradually reduce, meaning that your benefits don't end immediately if you are on a low income.
Universal Credit merges a number of existing benefits into one single payment:
- Income support
- Income related jobseeker’s allowance
- Income related employment support allowance
- Housing benefit
- Working tax credit
- Child tax credit
Universal support - help for Universal Credit customers
Personal budgeting support
Personal budgeting support is a free advice service at for Universal Credit customers who require basic money management and budgeting support.
During the appointment the advisor will:
- Do a benefit check to make sure you are receiving all the help you should be
- Look at your budget to see if there are any outgoings you can reduce
- Check that your bank accounts is suited to your needs and discuss direct debits
- Refer you to any other agencies that may also be able to help
If you would like to take advantage of this free service you will need to book an appointment with one of our advisors. To do this please complete this online form or alternatively contact us at the Civic centre, Poulton
All appointments are held at the Civic Centre, Poulton.
Assisted digital support
If you are a Universal Credit customer and need digital support to claim Universal Credit online or to access/update your Universal Credit online account you can visit the digital hub at Fleetwood Market or drop in the Civic Centre, Poulton, no appointment necessary.
Please note: council staff are not able to give advice on Universal Credit claims or access your information; they are there to provide support for accessing the service online.
Discretionary housing payments
If you are in receipt of housing costs from Universal Credit and need additional financial help to pay your rent or move home, you may wish to apply for a discretionary housing payment
Rate this page
Give us your feedback on this page!