Your Wyre Online

In Your Area

Self-build and custom build housing

What is the purpose of the register?

The Government wants to enable more people to build their own home and Local Planning Authorities in England and Wales are required under the Self-build and Custom House Building Act 2015 (c.17) to keep a register of individuals and associations of individuals seeking to acquire land to build a home.

Therefore, the council is compiling a register of people who might be interested in self-build or custom build housing. The register will provide an indication of the demand for self-build and/or custom build housing. In preparing this register, Wyre Council is making no commitment to find or provide registered individuals with self-build or custom build plots.

If you would like to be added to the register please complete an application form and return:

  • By post – Planning Policy Team, Wyre Council, Civic Centre, Breck Road, Poulton-le-Fylde, Lancashire, FY6 7PU
  • By email –

What is self-build or custom build housing?

Until recently the process of building your own home was almost universally referred to as ‘self-build’. The Government’s Housing Strategy for England introduced the term ‘custom build housing’ which can be defined as:

“Homes built or commissioned by individuals or groups of individuals for their own use, either by building the home on their own or working with builders.”

Both terms are correct and there are different types of Self-Build and Custom Build housing. However, increasingly ‘custom build’ is being used to more accurately reflect the variety of ways in which people can have their own home built for them, while ‘self-build’ is used to describe homes which are largely built as a DIY project.

More information (including plot searches) is available on the National Custom & Self Build Association and The Self Build Portal websites.


The register will not be a public document and will be treated as confidential. However, the council will publish headline data (i.e. location, type and/or demand) from the register annually in the Authorities Monitoring Report (AMR).

Rate this page

Give us your feedback on this page!