Support and advice for veterans and serving members of HM Forces
Armed forces community covenant for Wyre
The armed forces community covenant is a group of officers and elected members within Wyre Council. They have a voluntary pledge of mutual support between the borough's civilian and armed forces communities, which was agreed by representatives from Wyre Council, Wyre's armed forces communities and the private and voluntary sectors.
The focus of the covenant is to improve access to health and housing by making sure organisations and authorities are aware of the covenant. This incorporates mental health support through GPs to make sure people receive the treatment they need. The group is also establishing discount schemes with local businesses such as shops and restaurants, and cheaper access to leisure facilities.
It complements the Armed Forces Covenant which outlines the moral obligation between the nation, the government and the armed forces to ensure the armed forces community faces no disadvantage compared to other citizens. Consideration is given to special treatment for the injured and bereaved as a proper return for their sacrifice.
- Armed forces community covenant pledge - outlines the agreement between Wyre Council and its armed forces community
The aims of the community covenants is to:
- encourage local communities to support the armed forces community in Wyre
- nurture public understanding and awareness amongst the public of issues affecting the armed forces community
- recognise and remember the sacrifices faced by the armed forces community
- encourage activities which help to integrate the armed forces community into local life
- encourage the armed forces community to help and support the wider community, whether through participation in events and joint projects, or other forms of engagement
Wyre is working closely with district and county counterparts plus representatives from the charitable and voluntary sectors associated with HM Forces including:
- Veterans' Gateway
- Lancashire Military Veterans service
- The Veterans Mental Health charity - Combat Stress
- The Royal British Legion - Manchester
- Veterans UK
- Lancashire County Council community covenant
Armed Forces Champion
Councillor Andrea Kay is Wyre's Armed Forces Champion.
If you would like to contact Andrea for advice and information please email her at firstname.lastname@example.org
Rate this page
Give us your feedback on this page!