Your Wyre Online

In Your Area


Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support

Housing Benefit can help pay some or all of your rent if you are on a low income.

Council Tax Support helps you pay some or all of your Council Tax bill depending on your age and circumstance. You can view general information about the scheme or have a look at the scheme in more detail.

The amount of housing and council tax support due to you is worked out by looking at:

  • How much money you have coming in
  • You're personal circumstances and the amount of rent you have to pay
  • The amount of savings you have (more than £16,000 will normally disqualify you)
  • How many bedrooms you and your family require

The scheme applies to:

  • Anyone paying rent
  • Any person responsible for paying the Council Tax
  • Tenants living in privately rented accommodation (the allowance for these tenants is known as Local Housing Allowance and the rates are set separately), hostels and housing association accommodation

Second Adult Rebate 

Second Adult Rebate is available for residents who share their home with another adult (not a partner or civil partner) who is unable to contribute towards the Council Tax because they are on a low income.  The Council Tax payer's income is not taken into account when working out how much rebate is due.  The income of the other adults is used to do this. 

How to make a claim

  • You can make a claim online (if you are accessing the site from a mobile device with a small screen please use the Accessible Version link once the form loads)
  • You can telephone the office to make a claim over the phone on 01253 891000
  • You can make an appointment to see a Benefit Adviser at the Council Offices to make a claim
  • If you're elderly, disabled, or housebound, then we can arrange for a Visiting Officer to call to help you make a claim
  • You can see if you may be entitled to help before you claim at

Can I see a Benefit Adviser any time?

You can only see a Benefit Adviser at the Council Offices if you have made an appointment. Please use the Request an Appointment form or call 01253 891000. 

The evidence that you need to provide

  • National Insurance numbers for you and your partner
  • Identity (two documents per person)
  • Capital, savings and investments
  • Earnings
  • Other income
  • Benefits, allowances or pensions
  • Private rent and tenancy

You can provide evidence to support your claim by uploading scanned images or photographs of the documents.

Things to remember

  • You must contact us as soon as you can. To make sure your Housing Benefit starts from the earliest date possible
  • You should contact us as soon as you need benefit to tell us that you plan to claim
  • Provide all the supporting evidence, we cannot pay your benefit until we have seen all the evidence we have asked for
  • Use the same form to claim help towards Council Tax

Do you Need Help?

  • If you are elderly or have difficulty completing forms, you can request a home visit.  Telephone 01253 891000 to book an appointment

What Happens Next?

We will work out how much benefit you are entitled to. We will write to you to tell you our decision, even if you will not receive any help because of your circumstances.  If you disagree with our decision or any information contained in the letter you must write to us straight away to tell us what you think is wrong.  You have one calendar month to do this. 

Council Services