Cookie Consent by

The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee

Street parties and other events - road closure and use of land applications

The deadline for applying for the acknowledgement of a simple street party has now passed. Over 50 street parties have been planned throughout Wyre over the Jubilee weekend. We wish all the events every success. Keep safe and well!

Organising an event or street party -  what you need to know

 Do we need insurance cover?

You should have your own public liability insurance cover, this also applies to small residential street parties. You might find it helpful to visit Streets Alive  and The Big Lunch website for further advice. Quotes for insurance start from as little as £50. The costs can always be split between residents, or you could hold a raffle or ask for donations to cover the costs.

 Do I need to do a risk assessment?

It is important to risk plan for events and small street parties, as you need to think about how you can minimise things going wrong and have a back up plan. For example - what would you do if there was bad weather? Can you use plastic plates and cups rather than glass? Have you made sure an adult is in charge of the barbeque?  A safety checklist on the day is always a good idea: before, during and after the event.

We're serving alcoholic drinks - do we need an alcohol licence?

No, licences are only required if alcohol is sold. At a private party, sharing drinks with your neighbours, friends or family does not require a licence. If you want to sell alcohol, you will need to contact your council for a Temporary Events Notice form

We're playing music - do we need an entertainment licence?

No - if your street party is a private party for residents and the music is not advertised in advance to attract people, and you’re not making money then there is no need for a licence for your music, whether it’s live or recorded.

Do we need a permit to serve food?

No -if the event is a private party, you do not need a permit to sell food (unless you wanted to sell hot food and drink after 11pm). Remember you can always ask your neighbours to bake a cake, make a sandwich or bring food to share with one another. This is also a good way to bring different groups of people together.

We’re having a tombola/raffle - do we need permission?

Probably not. If the tombola/raffle tickets are sold on the day and the prizes are not worth more than £500 in total then it will be exempt from gambling regulations (however, if tickets are sold in advance of the event, you will  need a lottery registration but do speak to your council first). Any proceeds from the tombola/raffle must go to a good cause such as charity or even covering the cost of your party. Alternatively, if you did want to raise some money for your local church or charity, you can always ask people for donations. For advice contact

Do we need to clean up afterwards?

Yes, you will need to clean up after your event, and keep your local area clean and tidy. Let people know in advance what time the party/event will finish and have a section set aside for bin bags and recycling.