Similar to our popular health walks, our health rides are free social rides for adults who enjoy, or want to start enjoying, cycling. They are a great way to improve your cycling ability and socialise with others.
They’re led by qualified volunteers and are about an hour long including rest breaks. They will give anyone who wants to get back into cycling the chance to have a go and increase their confidence on mostly off road routes.
We encourage you to use your own bike and helmet, however we do have adult bikes and helmets available at each ride to borrow if required.
Rides will take place in 2020 as follows:
- Friday 2 and 16 October, 10.00am, Fleetwood, meet at Marine Hall
- Friday 9 and 23 October, 10.00am, Wyre Estuary Country Park
Please arrive 15 minutes before the start to allow for registration.
Booking is essential. Only participants who have booked on a ride will be permitted to take part. You can book your place through the visit Garstang Centre on 01995 602125 or email@example.com
What are the health rides like?
Local resident Angela Norris recently tried them out here’s what she has to say...
“Attending the Wyre health rides cycling sessions turned out to be a great confidence booster for me, as it was the first time I'd ridden a bike properly in nearly 19 years. As a teenager growing up in the 1970s I used to cycle all over - a habit that continued well into adulthood. In 1999, I skidded on black ice and fell off, dislocating my elbow and taking a blow to my head. The experience dented my confidence and left me fearful of the roads. When I heard about the Wyre health rides I decided to give it a go. I found sessions were very gentle and the volunteer instructors friendly and encouraging. Riding along the riverside paths at Stanah was also very pleasant.
“Now, six weeks after joining the course, I'm in possession of a brand new bike and a new enthusiasm for cycling. I've been out riding with my husband, a keen cyclist, a few times and hope perhaps one day to join a cycling club - time permitting! I feel the rides offer an excellent opportunity to help people like me get back into the saddle. It's also a great way of encouraging novice cyclists to take to their wheels.”
Mark also tried out the scheme. Here's what he had to say..
“Just to say I did the ride today and it was great. I suspect I slowed down the group but the leaders were great, very kind and patient, I will be back!"
Covid-19 Safety Measures
- Participants must not attend a ride or session if they have Covid-19 symptoms, have someone in their household who does and are in the extremely vulnerable category or if they have been asked to remain at home by the UK Government track and trace system.
- Sessions have been planned at times when routes are quieter. If routes are busier on any given day an alternative route may be used or the session may be cancelled.
- You will be asked to sign in on the day that you are fit and well. The leader will sign you in so as to keep safe social distance.
- All events and activities must be booked in advance. When booking we have asked for your contact details for contact and trace purposes. Only participants who have booked on a ride will be permitted to take part.
- Enrolment forms should be completed and handed to the volunteer health rides leader at your first session.
- Sessions will not exceed group size threshold. (maximum of six people in a group)
- Participants are encouraged to use their own bike and helmet. Equipment loan is still possible if you do not have your own.
- Social Distancing (2 metres) will be maintained throughout.
- Participants are encouraged to only exercise within their personal physical limitations and to maintain communication with their leader to ensure a suitable pace is managed.
- In line with government guidelines, masks or face coverings are not required if social distancing is maintained.
- If on the day of the activity you are unwell, please do not attend and if you are able to, cancel your booking by ringing Visit Garstang on 01995 602125.
- If you start to develop symptoms of Covid-19 while taking part, you should immediately inform the ride leader whilst maintaining social distancing.
- Participants should use hand sanitiser at the start and finish of all sessions, please bring your own. Sanitiser will be provided at registration.
- Any participant developing symptoms within 14 days after a session, should notify Visit Garstang on 01995 602125 and refer to the latest NHS advice.
Rate this page
Give us your feedback on this page!