The Civic Centre reception in Poulton is closed to visitors. You can still call us on 01253 891000 or email:

Lockwood Surgery remains open for appointments only. Please wear a face covering in the building unless you are exempt.

Click here for information about Coronavirus and our services

Your Wyre Online

In Your Area

Information for food businesses

Food business registration

If you are starting a new food business or taking over an existing one you must register your premises with us at least 28 days before you start operating. This is a legal requirement.

Registration applies to most types of food business, including catering businesses run from home and mobile or temporary premises, such as market stalls and vans.

Childminders only need to register with Lancashire County Council and Ofsted.

Registration is free.

Once you have registered with us, if there are any changes to the activities stated in the registration form, you should notify us within 28 days of the changes occurring.

Registration enables the authority to maintain up to date information regarding ownership of food business within the borough. Any significant change in the business activity, change of ownership or closure should be notified to us. The register contains the address and the type of business operated in each premises, and is available as a public document.

Planning permission

You may require planning permission for business use or extensions or alterations to your premises. This should be obtained before starting a food business.

Food business approval

If you operate a food business which processes products of animal origin (meat or dairy products), you may need to be approved by your local authority. Find out more about food business approval.

Food business safeguards

In order to ensure that the food hygiene rating scheme is fair to businesses, safeguarding procedures have been implemented. Find out more about how to appeal, about your 'right to reply'and how to request a re-visit when improvements have been made in order to be re-assessed for a ‘new’ rating. 

Shellfish harvesting

There is a number of regulations in place for harvesting shellfish for commercial purposes. Find out more about shellfish harvesting.

Additional information

  • Food sampling policy – find out about Wyre Council’s food sampling policy.
  • Producing safe food - whether you're a café or restaurant owner, farmer or butcher, this provides you with all the advice and guidance you need to produce safe food.

Trade associations 

Contact us

Contact us to discuss your business arrangements. Sound advice in the planning stages will help you avoid complications and even excess costs further down the line.

Rate this page

Give us your feedback on this page!