Your Wyre Online

In Your Area

Apply for a taxi driver licence

Licensing officers are available to speak to without an appointment Monday to Friday, between 9am and 1pm. If you have an urgent enquiry outside these times please email


To apply for a dual driver licence applicants must:

  • Be aged 21 years old or above
  • Have the right to work in the UK. If you have any doubts about your right to work in the UK, please contact the licensing team before booking your knowledge test
  • Have held a full UK driving licence for at least two years immediately prior to your application
  • Pass the council's knowledge test
  • Apply for an enhanced disclosure certificate via GB Group online
  • Register with the Disclosure and Barring Service update service and authorise the council to undertake periodic checks with the DBS
  • Meet the group two medical standard and produce a certificate of fitness certificate from your doctor
  • Sign an electronic DVLA mandate and upload your licence onto the council's database, to allow periodic checks on your driving licence
  • Provide a passport style photograph
  • Pay the application fee of £206 (which includes £25 for one attempt to pass the knowledge test)

First step

Before you complete any forms, or apply for a disclosure or medical, you need to pass the council's knowledge test. 

Please ring 01253 891000 to book an appointment and pay the test fee. Tests are held at the Civic Centre, Poulton, Monday to Friday at 10am.

The current fee is £25.00 which will be deducted from the full application fee of £206 for the first test you sit.

The test includes questions on the roads and landmarks in Wyre, taxi law and policy, safeguarding and the highway code.

The following documents are available to download and print and you are strongly advised to study them, as many of the questions in the test will be based on them.

You must bring your photocard driving licence with you to the test, and make sure all the details (name and address) on the card are current. You will not be able to sit the test if your DVLA licence is not up to date.

Second step

Your application will not be granted until the council is satisfied that you are a ‘fit and proper’ person to hold a driver’s licence.

When you have passed the knowledge test, you will be given all the information and paperwork that you need to continue with your application. The process is as follows:

  • Complete the council's application and personal disclosure form (making sure you disclose all convictions, cautions and traffic offences etc. that you have ever received, whether unspent or not)
  • Upload your DVLA licence onto the council's database and sign an electronic mandate to permit periodic checks on your licence. You must attend the Civic centre in person to do this.
  • Apply for an enhanced DBS disclosure certificate with GBGroup
  • Once you receive your certificate, you have 28 days to register with the DBS Update Service
  • Make an appointment with your own doctor for a medical examination to the DVLA group two standard
  • Provide evidence that you have the right to work in the UK
  • Provide a passport style photograph
  • Pay the remaining £181 of the application fee

If you pass all of the council's standard checks, licensing officers will grant a dual drivers licence which entitles you drive both hackney carriages and private hire vehicles. 

Applicants who do not meet the minimum standards in the council's convictions policy, will be referred to the licensing committee who will determine the application.

National fraud initiative 

Wyre Council must protect the public funds it handles and so we may use the information provided on the application form to prevent and detect fraud. We may also share this information for the same purposes with other organisations that handle public funds.

We will also automatically record any decision to revoke or refuse a Wyre dual driver's licence on the National Register of Taxi Licence Refusals or Revocations (NR3)  

We may also share information with other organisations when it is necessary to prevent or detect crime.

Contact us

If you would like further information or assistance, please contact the licensing team:

Rate this page

Give us your feedback on this page!