Important updates on Coronavirus (COVID-19):

Wyre’s Civic Centre reception in Poulton is now open from 10am - 3pm Monday to Friday. You can also contact us on 01253 891000 or email:

Click here for information about Coronavirus and our services

Your Wyre Online

In Your Area

Is planning permission required?

Guidance is available from the planning portal to give you an indication of whether planning permission is required for your proposal at:

Planning portal

Additionally guidance is also available via the goverment website explaining when you need planning permission, when you dont need planning permission, process after you apply and the appeals process at :

Planning permission - England and Wales

Lawful development certificates

If you would prefer a formal response from the planning department as to whether or not planning permission is required for your proposal, please complete and return the below form to apply for a lawful development certificate.

Find out the cost for this service

If work has already been carried out or a use has commenced without planning permission you may be able to obtain a lawful development certificate for an existing use or operation or an activity in breach of a planning condition. Further guidance is available through the planning portal

Changes to ‘permitted development’ rights

Prior approval householder extension form

The Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) (England) Order 2015 allows the construction of single storey rear extensions on domestic dwellings that project up to 8m on detached properties and 6m on other dwellings subject to certain restrictions and requirements. This allowance does not apply to flats or to appropriate properties within conservation areas, and Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB) or a Site of Specific Scientific Interest (SSSI).

The allowance is subject to a prior approval procedure and the requirements of this are set out under condition A.4 of Part 1 of Schedule 2 of the Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development)(England) Order 2015. 

You are not required to use a specific application form but you may find it easier to use the one produced by the council to ensure that you provide all the necessary information. Guidance notes are also provided.

Regardless of whether you use the application form or simply write in, you will need to provide the council with the following information as a minimum:         

  • a written description of the proposed development including:
    • how far the enlarged part of the dwellinghouse extends beyond the rear wall of the original dwellinghouse
    • the maximum height of the enlarged part of the dwellinghouse and
    • the height of the eaves of the enlarged part of the dwellinghouse
  • a plan indicating the site and showing the proposed development the address of any adjoining premises
  • your contact address and
  • your email address if you are prepared to receive communications electronically

These are the minimum requirements specified in the legislation, however the legislation also states that the council may refuse an application where the proposal either does not meet the permitted development criteria or insufficient information has been provided to enable the council to make a full assessment. On this basis and in addition to the minimum requirements you are strongly recommended to provide the following:

  • a site location plan showing the position of the site and indicating any adjoining roads or footpaths
  • a site layout plan drawn to a recognised metric scale that shows the existing property, the proposed extension, any garden areas and the boundaries of the site;
  • a basic elevation drawing showing the proposed extension relative to the existing house OR the eaves height and maximum roof height of the existing property;
  • details of the materials to be used on the external elevations of the extension 

A fee of £96.00 is payable (as of the 19.08.19) and the council must determine your application within 42 days (six weeks).

Upon receipt of a valid application and the above fee we will notify immediately adjoining neighbour of your proposal and give them 21 days to comment.

If  any of the adjoining neighbours object to your proposal, prior approval for the extension will be required and the council must assess the potential impact of the development on the amenities of all the adjoining neighbours. The legislation allows the council to request additional information where this is required to assess the potential impact. You may, for example, be asked to provide a drawing with your application showing the form of the roof and the size and positions of any windows along with confirmation of whether the would be opening or non-opening and clear or obscure glazed. This information would normally be required within seven days of the request in order to enable the council to make a timely decision. The council may refuse an application if the information necessary to enable a full assessment is not provided. You may therefore wish to provide this additional information as part of your initial application.

No works may commence until:

  • you have received written confirmation from the council that the prior approval is not required;
  • you have received written confirmation from the council that prior approval is requires and has been granted;
  • a period of 42 days has elapsed since the submission of a valid application and you have not received any notification from the council

There is a right of appeal in the event that your application is refused, Details of this would be provided with the decision notice.

Interactive house on the planning portal

Rate this page

Give us your feedback on this page!