Self isolation - what you need to know
If you are required to stay at home, you can find information from the NHS about self-isolation. The government has also issued guidance for households with possible or confirmed coronavirus.
- If you have symptoms of coronavirus you should isolate immediately to stop the spread of the virus and protect family, friends and your community and get a test. You can get a test via the NHS website.
- It is vital that you play your part and follow the rules around isolation. Breaking them could now lead to a fine of up to £10,000 for repeat and flagrant violations.
- If you or someone in your household has any coronavirus symptoms, you should isolate immediately and get a test. If you receive a positive test result, you must isolate immediately for 10 days. You should only stop isolating if you receive a negative test result. If you are identified as a contact of a positive case, you must isolate for 10 days since your point of contact - regardless of whether you develop symptoms or not and even if for some reason you receive a negative test result.
- When self-isolating, do not go to work, school or any other public spaces. Any exercise should be taken within your home, and you should ask friends or family to buy food or other essentials.
- Everyone needs to take responsibility and follow the rules to stop the virus spreading, but where they do not the police will enforce the law.
- Financial support is available for those who need it. You could be eligible for a £500 payment if you are on a low income and will lose income because you cannot work from home while isolating. For eligibility check Gov.UK/Coronavirus.
- Anyone can catch coronavirus and anyone can spread it. We all have a crucial part to play in keeping the number of new infections down and protecting our loved ones.
A support payment scheme is now open which will see eligible people able to claim a £500 payment to help them self-isolate. There are criteria you must meet, find out if you’re eligible and apply using our self-isolation payment form.
Rate this page
Give us your feedback on this page!