Getting tested if you have symptoms
Anyone feeling unwell or worried they may have coronavirus should get a free test for COVID-19 by calling 119 or visiting www.nhs.uk or via the NHS COVID-19 app. You should self isolate immediately to stop the spread of the virus.
The three main symptoms of coronavirus are:
- A high temperature
- A new, continuous cough
- A loss or change to your sense of smell or taste
However, there are other wider symptoms of coronavirus outlined by the World Health Organisation including a persistent headache and diarrhoea, so you should get a test if you feel in any way unwell.
When you are booking a test, if you don't have the three main symptoms, simply say you don't. A few clicks later on the website, you can then choose the option which says: "My local council or health protection team has asked me (or someone I live with) to get a test, even though I do not have symptoms". If you don't have the three classic symptoms, but feel unwell, please tick this option.
If you have been in contact with somebody who has symptoms of coronavirus, you must self-isolate for 10 days, even if you have no symptoms yourself, and even if you have had a negative test result - as you could still be incubating the virus.
You can choose to take the test:
- At a test site (if one is locally available to you)
- With a home test kit
There is a testing centre in place at Albert Street car park in Fleetwood. You must have a pre-booked appointment to attend this centre, please do not turn up without one as you will not be admitted. If you cannot get a test now, or the location or time are not convenient, try again in a few hours. Operational hours are:
- 8am to 12pm for booked test appointments
- 1.30pm – 7.30pm for collection of test kits for families and support bubbles of those at school.
Mobile Testing Unit teams operate smaller drive through sites at a number of locations throughout Lancashire on a rolling programme. Wyre’s sites are at
- Ashdell car park Thornton,
- Booths car park, Garstang
- Derby Rd east car park, Cleveleys
- St Michael’s village hall car park, St Michael's
Appointments can only be selected at these sites during the booking process for the days they are operational in Wyre
Waiting for a COVID-19 test result?
You should return home and self-isolate straight away once you have had your test. Make sure you travel straight home from having your test and do not visit any shops, services or other houses, as you could put others at risk.
How long should you stay at home?
Stay at home for 10 days from when your symptoms started, or from the date of the test if you have no symptoms.
If you get a positive test result
Complete the 10 day isolation period, even if you have no symptoms.
If you get a negative test result
You can stop self-isolating as long as you are well. You will need to self-isolate still if someone you live with has tested positive or if you’ve been told you have been in contact with someone who tested positive.
What about people you live with?
- Anyone you live with must self-isolate while you wait for your test result
- If you have children, they must not go to school while you wait for your results
- Anyone from your support bubble who you’ve had close contact with must also self-isolate
- If you test positive, anyone you have been in close contact with should self-isolate for 10 days, even if they have no symptoms
- If you test positive, you will be contacted by NHS Test & Trace who will tell you how long to isolate for and will ask you about who else you have been in contact with to try to stop the spread
- If anyone you have had close contact with develops symptoms, they should get a test immediately. If they test positive, they should self-isolate for 10 days from when their symptoms started.
If you are required to stay at home, you can find information from the NHS about self-isolation and on our website. You may also be entitled to financial support. If you have to self-isolate and do not have help from friends or family help is available through our Wyre Together Hub.
Rate this page
Give us your feedback on this page!