Cookie Consent by

Gypsy and traveller sites

Camps on council or private land

We do not have a duty to move gypsies and travellers when they are camped without the landowner's permission. If gypsies or travellers are camped on council land, then we can evict them.

If they are on private land, it is usually the landowner's responsibility. The government has advised that when gypsies and travellers are not causing a problem, the site may be deemed as 'temporarily tolerated' and this will be evaluated by the risk assessment process.

Unless the landowner has already obtained planning permission for a caravan site or is a farmer and the gypsies or travellers are helping with fruit picking and such like, then the landowner could be in breach of the planning acts and the acts dealing with the licensing of caravan sites.