Walks by Area - Stanah Circular Walk
|Intro||A circular walk starting and finishing at the Wyreside Visitor Centre.|
|Terrain||Easy level walking, also suitable for people in wheelchairs or with pushchairs although the path can be uneven in places. Please check the tide times.|
|Distance||Approximately 3km (1.9 miles). Allow 1 to 2 hours to complete the walk.|
1. Start from the car park next to the Wyreside Visitor Centre. Walk onto the main driveway and turn right. Follow the driveway along to the fingerpost (signposted 'Riverside Path to Cockle Hall and Skippool') and take the path on the left.
2. At Cockle Hall (¾ mile from the Ecology Centre) there is a three way fingerpost and picnic area. Continue straight on along the estuary path towards Skippool.
3. Eventually the path curves around the another three way fingerpost at a place known as Ramper Pot. The path joins the Skippool path and a track leads off to the right. Take this track (signposted Underbank Road) and pass through the gate.
4. Continue along the track round to the 'T' junction with Underbank Road. Turn right and walk along this narrow road between the hedgerows. Listen for the song of Whitethroat and Willow Warbler (summer visitors from Africa).
5. At the end of Underbank Road continue left along Stanah Road until you reach the junction with River Road.
6. Turn right along River Road and return to the Wyreside Visitor Centre. Please visit the Ecology Centre free of charge and enjoy learning about the wildlife around the estuary.
|Starting Point||This walk starts from the Wyreside Visitor Centre situated at Stanah, Thornton.|
|Starting Point - Map|